In 2020, the Film Festival “Made by Women” will hold its third edition from November 4 to the 15 in Madrid, Spain. This edition will last almost twice as much as previous editions, with an increase in the number of venues. These are located in 20 cultural facilities throughout the city, such as Casa Árabe, Cine Estudio at Círculo de Bellas Artes, Cineteca Madrid, Palacio de la Prensa, Berlanga Movie Theater, Academia de Cine, Casa de América, Sala Equis, mk2 Palacio de Hielo, and also at Institut Français, Goethe-Institut, La Morada de Malasaña, the Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum, the Espacio Fundación Telefónica and the Hotel Iberostar Las Letras Gran Vía.
The Festival wants to show the work and the standpoint of women, at five steps in the process of producing a film, when value is added : creation and training -> production and screening -> promotion and marketing -> distribution and sales -> consumption of cultural goods and accessibility. The Festival has thus prepared a national and international selection of over 60 recent fiction and non-fiction feature films. Among them, 10 films produced between 2018 and 2020 will enter the competition section while premiering either in Spain or in Madrid, within the Festival.
This 3rd edition will devote special attention to the most innovative Polish cinema via Focus Poland, a selection of 5 movies available to watch at Academia de Cine, with the cooperation of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Madrid, the Polish Cultural Institute and the Polish Film Institute. In addition, like last year, you can experience Virtual Reality in film at Sala XR of Espacio Fundación Telefónica.
As a new feature in this edition, the festival reaches out to other Spanish cities and participates in cinematic events such as Alcine, the Film Festival in nearby Alcalá de Henares, where 8 movies will be showed, and at the Córdoba location of Casa Árabe, that will welcome Arabic movies directed by women, for the audience to watch and enjoy.
Training is still a basic cornerstone of our Festival with many lectures, roundtables, meetings and debates to be held in the event halls of the Regional Authority of Madrid, the Women Institute and Espacio Fundación Telefónica. We rely upon the participation of female directors, scriptwriters, producers, actresses, female cinematography directors, distributors, animation directors, film editors, sound engineers, special visual effects technicians, art directors, production design directors, location scouting, script girls, music composers – all of those women are a source of creativity.
The third edition of “Cine por Mujeres” builds on the success of previous editions, when numbers spoke for themselves and backed the project. This edition relies again upon the invaluable contributions of institutions and corporations who have renewed their commitment to equality and to the cinematic culture. One more year, let us mention the Regional Authority of Madrid and Fundación Telefónica, joined in 2020 by the Women Institute for Equal Opportunity, along with the corporations IBERIA and MAELOC.
Music: Fernando Vacas and “La Factoría Brasileña”.
– FICTION FEATURE FILM (70 minutes minimum)
– DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILM (70 minutes minimum)
– ANIMATION FEATURE FILM (70 minutes minimum)
A notification will be issued to the person or company that sent the copy of each film, with instructions for the transfer to Madrid of the screening copy DCP, H264 or HD Digital.
In order to be screened an email with the below mentioned data has to be sent including:
– Stills, image document of the film’s poster and a picture of the director/s.
– A Word document containing: a logline of no more than a sentence + a film synopsis of no more than a paragraph + the director’s biofilmography +the film’s technical and artistic data + former festivals participation and/or awards granted + Premiere Date
PROGRAMMING AND SCREENING RIGHTS
The organization reserves the right to screen the selected films during the Festival as many times as it sees fit with prior agreement with the right-holders.
The right-holders agree to the free reproduction of images or excerpts of a minute maximum from the selected films in press, television and any other media aimed to promote the Festival.
The Award for Best Film, granted by an international jury comprised of renowned professionals, will be presented at the Festival’s closing ceremony. The Jury’s decision will not be open to appeal.
4 awards will be presented:
1. Award to a Professional Career, conferred by the Selection Committee of the Festival de Cine por Mujeres. The award consists of a jewel prize by the renowned designer Chus Burés.
2. Award to Best Picture, presented by the International Jury of the Festival de Cine por Mujeres. The award consists of a jewel prize by the renowned designer Chus Burés; the color correction in 4K of the next feature film to be directed by the winning director, having available during 3 weeks the Místika digital movie theater of Free Your Mind, valued at 30,000€; and the support when distributing her future feature film, which consists in creating a DCP in the original language version, with subtitles in Spanish, courtesy of Subtitula’m and valued at 1.000€.
3. Iberia Audience Award, conferred by the audience who were present at the screenings of the Competitive Section of the Festival, consisting of a check for 3.000€.
4. RC Award to the Best Spanish Film, decided by members of Asociación Premios Blogos de Oro, presented by RC Service and valued at 3.000€ to be discounted when renting filmmaking equipment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS ACCEPTANCE
The participation in this competition implies the acceptance of the above detailed terms and conditions.